The Building Energy Efficiency Rating label will be made available in the covered buildings’ DOB NOW Public Portal (Link Below) property profiles upon October 1 of every year. Print and display the label in a conspicuous location near each public entrance within 30 days after October 1 of every year.
A new law, LL33 of 2018 as amended by LL95 of 2019, requires owners of buildings covered by the Benchmarking Law to obtain and post an energy efficiency score and grade near each public entrance to the building. The compliance begins in 2020 and is mandatory in each calendar year thereafter. The grade is assigned based on an energy efficiency score generated through the benchmarking tool, Portfolio Manager. The energy efficiency score and grade must be displayed within 30 days after October 1st.
An energy efficiency score is the 1-100 ENERGY STAR®Score that a building earns using the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s online benchmarking tool, ENERGYSTAR Portfolio Manager ®to compare building energy performance to similar buildings in similar climates. As per Local Law 95 of 2019 grades based on ENERGYSTAR®energy efficiency scores, will be assigned as follows:
- A – score is equal to or greater than 85.
- B – score is equal to or greater than 70 but less than 85.
- C – score is equal to or greater than 55 but less than 70.
- D – score is less than 55.
- F – for buildings that did not submit required benchmarking information.
- N – for buildings exempted from benchmarking or not covered by the Energy Star program.
- Penalty for failure to display the Building Energy Efficiency Rating Label by the deadline: DOB violation fine of $1,250
DOB NOW Public Portal Link: https://a810-dobnow.nyc.gov/publish/Index.html#!
[Note: Your Building score will be available on October 1st.]